Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Crazy old ladies



One of my patients today was the cutest, craziest old lady I've come across (and I've come across quite a few!) but how quickly we all fell in love with her!  From the moment she came into the department she was serenading us with song.  Laying back in the stretcher she sang songs from the thirties and forties almost continually.  My first encounter she stopped singing and greeted me with, "Hello beautiful lady!  You look lovely today!"  Everything I did or said met with her approval and when I was done she couldn't stop thanking me, "Thank you beautiful!"  

Throughout her workup she continually broke into song in her off-key, gravely voice.  At one point someone asked her to sing Danny Boy and she answered, "Of course!" before breaking into a lovely rendition of Morning Has Broken.  When it was time for her to go home, I was almost sad.  Rarely have I seen so much joy, such pleasure in living or others. My coworkers all commented on it...she had no idea what was going on but she was "so nice" about it!

In contrast another one of my patients also had dementia...but she was angry, combative and trying to bite the staff.  I do not doubt that someday I too will be a crazy, old woman.  I can only pray that I will be as lovely and positive as my first patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment