Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ready to eat a cracker...


I returned Monday from Park City, Utah after a fantabulous ski trip (pics and story in next blog), worked two days and then woke up this morning at 2am sick as a dog.  I am certain that I know from whom I contracted this terrible virus.  It was a 19 year old girl who came in with 12 hours of vomiting, diarrhea and severe body aches and breathed in my face when I was examining her ears and throat.  

I consciously remember holding my breath when that happened, washing my hands, and hoping that would be enough to keep from contracting the dreaded plague...and now, two days later, I can totally see why she came to the emergency department!  

Usually I don't catch things from my patients and I NEVER go in as a patient, but I have to say I was tempted about eight hours in to this bug.  Since I had nothing in the house to hydrate with besides water, and that continuously returned itself, a friend down the road dropped by with gatorade, saltines, chicken broth, ginger ale and good wishes. Yes, he and his wife saved my life.  Well minor exaggeration, but it certainly felt like it when I could finally drink and keep down the gatorade!  This evening I took a quick shower and weighed myself: no lie, I had lost 5 pounds in just one day!  Now I am contemplating eating a cracker...maybe.

One of the things I love about my Catholic friends and family is how I had so many offers of help, concern, prayers and even specific requests for people that I could offer my sufferings for.  Where else in the world or what other religion would routinely think of that? "Oh, you have unavoidable suffering?  Can you offer it for so and so?"  

Having just returned from Salt Lake City where there is a high Mormon population, it makes the dissimilarities even more striking!  Our Lord asks us to die on the cross with him and then be raised with him.  In the Mormon religion it almost seems like everyone is out for themselves and that the end is to achieve divinity...living for yourself is the primary focus of living.  And honestly, what a relief to know that we're not competing and that we're not saved by our actions alone.




At my recent mission Father Duc talked about the cross section of the cross of Christ.  He explained how the vertical beam is what is bridging us to the Father and the horizontal beam is what is bridging us to each other.  What holds these two pieces together?  Our Lord, Jesus Christ, of course, hanging in the center of the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment