Monday, March 31, 2014

Silent Retreat



I've just returned from a beautiful retreat run by the Sisters of Life at their retreat house in Stamford, Connecticut.  Well, they hosted it...technically I guess it was run by Father Cleveland of the Oblates of Mary in Denver, Colorado.  

It was a silent retreat which meant that there was NO TALKING from Friday evening after dinner until brunch on Sunday afternoon.  Interspersed with talks on Ignatian prayer and meditation, we participated in Mass, stations, the rosary, adoration and confession.  

The chapel was, no joke, two doors down the hall from my private room where I slept.  Saturday night we had Eucharistic Adoration all night and I was assigned 12:30 to 1:30am.  I set my alarm for 12:25 and when it rang, padded my way to the chapel in my yoga pants and fleece to spend a sweet hour alone with Jesus.  

All in all, it was a beautiful period, a temporary interlude away from my crazy life...time just to sit and pray, rest, and soak up the peace.  I had notified family and friends that I would be unavailable even by phone...so there were no disruptions from email or texting during this time.  What a beautiful experience!  To be wholly focused on our Lord, even for such a short period of time!  Perfect for Lent, when we are all focusing on retiring from the world into the desert in preparation for our Lord's passion.

I won't go into any more detail, but suffice it to say I have been blessed!  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment