Monday, March 3, 2014

Unwritten rules of blogging




So I am completely new to this blogging thing...I began because my friend at More Cilantro Please! linked me to her new blog and VOILA!   I wanted to write too.  I've been looking around at a lot of really wonderful, amazing blogs (mostly Catholic as this genre interests me) and wondering: are there any unwritten rules a newbie like me should know?

First off, I'd like to know about PRIVACY.  A lot of people seem to be perfectly comfortable posting pictures and details about themselves and their families that I really enjoy reading...however they are not details I would feel comfortable posting!  I don't know if it is the reticent New Englander in me but I do not want to be easily identified and definitely not findable.

Second, there must be a fine line between what you can and can't say about your friends' and family's business. There is their privacy to take into account.  Also at what point are you saying something that becomes gossip or tale-bearing?  At the same time there are funny, anecdotal stories to share...hmmm.

Third, is it better to have the comments bar open?  I almost don't want to know what people think...and yet that is a way for them to interact and keep returning: "what did someone think about my contribution?"

And fourth, do I need to personalize my blog template more?  Is it a major faux pax to just use the blogger pre-made one?  Because it looks so much better than anything I would try on my own...just saying.  And though personally I prefer the magazine layout, I'm technologically challenged to figure out how to make that the go-to screen...maybe I can put it my title: Adventures First, Explanations Take So Much Time (click on magazine for the cool layout).

Fifth, is it better to find a blog theme and just stick with it?  I seem to be all over the place here (running, cochlear implants, my hopes and dreams, learning a language, travel, work, family)...so I guess my theme is: my random life.  When I chose the name Adventures First, Explanations Take So Much Time it came from a quote by Lewis Carroll that sums up my attitude toward life: LIVE IT!

Sixth, is it better to write shorter blogs?  In bigger fonts?  Are they more readable?  And what about links and pictures: is less more?  Or more, more?  And are we allowed to write lol or make smilies?  Because ummm I use smilies...way too much...and commas...but not going to talk about grammar.  Using good grammar, I am sure, must be a written rule.

Seventh, is it imperative that my pictures match my blog topic?  Cause I just randomly like to take a photo from one of my albums and post it...mostly because I have lots of pictures and few things to say about them.  Are you even allowed to take pictures off the internet and post them?  I'm guessing probably...but I don't know.

And finally Eighth, I assume that consistency is key.  Just keep blogging on a regular basis...unless you run out of things to talk about.  Then I guess the unwritten rule is: don't run out of things to talk about!

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging!! First things first, this is your blog, so do whatever you want to do with it! That is the beauty of being a blogger, you can write/create whatever you want. With regards personal information, I am an anonymous blogger. Whoever reads my blog knows I am from Ireland and that's really about it! There are no hard and fast rules to blogging - it's all about how comfortable you are with everything. You will get into your own groove! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Claire! What great advice! Thank you! On my way to find my groove.... :o)

      Delete
  2. I don't have a lot of wisdom to share, but I hope that you experience success and enjoyment from this venture! I also write a "random this is my life" type of blog and while I doubt I'll ever become rich or go viral from anything I write on there, it works for me and it makes me happy. Best of luck to you (and I love your Carroll quotation inspired title!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It makes me happy..." Thank you Jenny! I think that's the best thing you can get from blogging! Going to carry that forward!

      Delete
  3. I think these are great questions. I'm sure someone, somewhere down the road, is going to do a study of children whose mothers had blogs. Interesting psychological potential! ;-) The privacy thing is important, though I suspect that each family would have to decide their own level of transparency. For example, I draw the line at the specifics of potty-training. I've also heard that, as the kids get older, the privacy levels go up-up-up, almost naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaah love it Rhonda!! Thank you...and I think you are right. Privacy is important...and I can't wait to see the results of that study!!

      Delete