Friday, May 22, 2015

Realization



"Only need the light when it's burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow."

Thinking about the day I sat in a Spanish airport: recognizing that I loved a man that I would probably never see again.  How quickly life passes.  There was a short story I read once.  I forget the author.  It was about a man who was given a golden ball with a string.  Whenever he would pull the string, life would pass by.  He was careful and at first he only pulled the string when something bad happened, like when he had measles.  Eventually he was pulling it all the time: while he waited for something, when his child was sick, when his parents died, when he was bored, when his job was on the rocks, while he waited for a promotion, when his wife died and eventually when he was close to death.  As he lay on his deathbed he looked back and realized...he had missed almost all of his life.  He had no memories. In skipping the suffering he had never lived.

I feel like my life is flying by at the speed of light.  My birthday is around the corner.  I'm not really old but at the same time: I am.  Living in the moment is beautiful.  At the same time, life is lived so quickly!  I'm off to India in a week.  I leave the day after I turn 35.  Is it scary or wrong to not have any clue where or what God wants of me beyond this next adventure?  I'm not sure.  But trusting....and grateful to live and experience all the things God has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment