Saturday, January 9, 2016

Coffee!!!!


Did I mention they have a Dunkin Donuts in Antigua?  I saw a little boy carrying a donut box with the DD logo on it yesterday on the way to my last Spanish class.  I chased him down the street, wrestled him to the ground, grabbed the box and refused to give it back until he told me where the Dunkin Donuts was.  Just kidding!  But I did see a little boy with a DD box so I googled the locale and sure enough, it was right down the street!  After class I headed to the main square and after passing a Wendy's, a McDonalds and a Burger King, there it was!  Ta da!  I can live here...



Actually the coffee from Guatemala is amazing just because it is from Guatemala.  I bought a bag for myself the first day but because I have been going every morning to the volunteers house and drinking a cup of their coffee, I hadn't opened it.  Today I learned what "Cafe en Grano" means.  It means you have beans.  It means you need a grinder.  And no, I have no clue where to find a grinder.  That will be my task for this weekend.



Antigua! Such a pretty city.  I walked to the main square after class yesterday and sat, drinking my DD coffee, while I people watched.  Afterwards I checked out the Cathedral de Santiago, which was closed, and then strolled around back where I found a museum where you can visit the ruins for 8 quetzals (1 USD).  



Do you know anything about Antigua?  I was told a little so I looked this up: Founded in 1543, it was originally the capital of Guatemala (which was a kingdom at the time that included a bunch of other surrounding countries).  After multiple earthquakes over the next two hundred years, the antiguans grew tired of rebuilding and moved the capital to present day Guatemala city.  Everywhere you go, you see the influence of the Spanish colonial era.  It's like stepping into Cuzco in Peru or St. Augustines in Florida....short little houses along stone laid streets and big churches popping up every once in a while.  The central plaza, or park, is similar to those you see all over Spain and every other country Spain has occupied: a large square for people to gather.  In short, it is beautiful.



Antigua is also popular for ex-pats and students.  There are artesian markets, clothing markets, food markets, furniture markets and junk markets.  Here you see people from all over the world.  There are chain stores, such as office depot, and restaurants that serve international cuisine.  Despite all this, the city maintains a very quaint, small town feeling.



Okay enough on that.  Off to study Spanish.  Other volunteers are arriving today!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it is so beautiful and different. Is the dunkin the same as ours? We miss you. Keep posting and try not to wrestle any boys. You are supposed to be there to help the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol it seemed the same but I didn't trust the ice... It is beautiful! Lol I'll try not to!

    ReplyDelete