Friday, February 5, 2016

First day solo



Survived my first day by myself in the clinic.  Please, do not be impressed!  The 24-hour nurse and one of the doctors went into the city for appointments with the kids and that left myself, the clinic director and another doctor (well she was there half a day).  I was left to answer the bell, give noon day meds, and medicate the two kids who came in with stomach illness.  Not much, but it boosted my wavering confidence...because I managed to do it!


I then promptly became sick overnight with a fever, body aches and head cold...and spent the entire next day in bed.  Above is what my roommates gave me to get better.  I am mostly recovered.  I still have a runny nose.  It seems to be going around the volunteers...taking us down two or three at a time.



On a positive note, I received my first care package!!  Followed by a letter!  Followed by another care package!!  This TOTALLY made my week!!!  Love my friends and family!!!  I am so blessed to be remembered when I am so far away!

I went to Holy Hour the other night.  We have one a week.  This one was for the smallest boys.  They all took turns offering a prayer and then we said the Our Father together after each petition.  When it came to one small boy, he offered his prayer for his parents and began crying.  Suddenly the entire chapel was full of little boys weeping for their parents.  Some because they had lost theirs, others because they had been abandoned and yet others because they had been taken away from them.  This is a special place.



My first day solo ended with a peanut butter snickers bar from the doctor to say thank you for working alone all day.   It was amazing!  Mostly because it made me feel loved, appreciated and wanted in a place where I am constantly making mistakes, not understanding and bumbling the simplest things.  Off to lunch now and then time to start giving kids their vaccines.  Somedays more so than others but I'm really glad to be here.  Even more so: I am so glad it is Friday!

4 comments:

  1. I can't tell you Elizabeth how much I enjoy your blog!! Makes me love you and cherish our friendship so much! We certainly take so much for granted on a daily basis, your experiences humble me. Glad you are feeling better my friend! Stay safe and healthy. Xxoo Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di!! Love you too! So grateful for your friendship... And also for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing & may Our Lord bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! For your prayers and encouragement and taking the time to read my post!

      Delete