Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My fake Guatemalan life...



My fake Guatemalan life grew out me saying so many times, "In my real life...I work in a hospital or I eat salad every day or I have two dogs..." You get the idea...so the opposite of me not living my real, normal, what-I'm-used-to life is: my fake one.  Hence...the title!



Sooooo... in my fake Guatmalan life I basically do things I've never done before or never would have imagined myself doing.  




You can just insert "in my fake Guatemalan life" before each phrase:


I sing karaoke in spanish with my mouth full of marshmallows in front of an audience...

I wait on side roads with random shuttle drivers I just met two hours ago for their friend's taxi which is "very safe"...


Ginormous bugs crawl into my house just to die ...

I regularly receive packages with all kinds of awesome things... Even though it's not my birthday or Christmas or anything! 



I drink wine from a box and bake a cake every other weekend... So far that makes eleven cakes since I arrived...and I'm not counting the boxes of wine!

Kids still get chickenpox and then come live in the clinic for two weeks.  And lice, scabies and viral carrying mosquitoes are normal, everyday things...

I'm always up before seven. Even on my days off...literally have not slept in since I arrived five months ago!

We celebrate Mother's Day on a Tuesday...and Labor Day on a Sunday.


I drink Japanese coffee from a can heated up in a pot of water on a gas stove...



I dance the salsa weekly with a bunch of kids from Europe...

I climb volcanoes and think its normal when the house shakes from eruptions...

I'm a forward on a basketball team and a soccer star on our clinic team...who knew all those years of playing soccer as a kid would be so useful??

People call me enfermera....and I answer.




There are always flowers blooming and fresh fruit available...

Kids run across fields and down streets to show me their scraped up arms, give me flowers and hugs or tell me their belly button hurts...


I make fifty dollars a month and get more excited about spending my monthly paycheck than I ever did spending fifty dollars at home...




And in my fake Guatemalan life I speak Spanish, get stressed, frustrated, laugh and continually find joy in the people around me.  Really blessed to be here and I know that when I do return to my "real" life, I'll be bringing a lot of beautiful Guatemalan memories with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment