Monday, May 23, 2016

Series of Unfortunate Events



We had a hail storm last week that took out a tree which happened to land on a power line and leave us powerless and internetless.  This also left us waterless as our water comes from a well that has an electric pump.  And then, of course, we ran out of gas for the stove in our house.  Water, power and internet have been restored to my house and the clinic but the kids' houses, next to the downed power line, continue to be powerless.  Thankfully we ALL have water!  Right now, however, the kids are doing everything at night by candlelight.



Despite all that, I think I like the rainy season.  I love listening to the rain.  We have a tin roof and the sound is thunderous.  Kind of like sitting next to the ocean with huge waves crashing in: it overwhelms me with how huge and out of control nature really is.  Then I think of God, and how huge and out of control He really is! And how He created the lightening, the thunder and the ocean...and, well, how neat it all is...because even though He is so great and mighty...He became one of us because He loves us.  



Remember on the Sea of Gallilee how Jesus calmed the storm after the disciples woke Him because the wind and waves grew wilder?  They were scared they would all perish.  My last blog was about some recent internal struggles and honestly it seems funny but being without power, etcetera didn't bother me at all.  It makes me think of a song that has a line saying, "Sometimes He calms the storm, and sometimes He calms His child." 


I met God in the morning,
When my day was at its best
And His presence came like sunrise,
Like a glory in my breast.

All day long the Presence lingered;
All day long He stayed with me;
And we sailed in perfect calmness
O’er a very troubled sea.

Other ships were blown and battered,
Other ships were sore distressed,
But the winds that seemed to drive them
Brought to us a peace and rest.

Then I thought of other mornings,
With a keen remorse of mind. 
When I too had loosed the moorings
With the Presence left behind.

So, I think I know the secret,
Learned from many a troubled way;
You must seek Him in the morning
If you want Him through the day.


Ralph Spaulding Cushman

No comments:

Post a Comment