Monday, June 20, 2016

There's rain and then THERE IS RAIN


I liken the rainy season here to Swiss Family Robinson.  I remember how calm and beautiful it appeared on their island: perfect sky, sun, breeze...and then, within moments, the sky would darken.  Torrential downpours accompanied by thunder and lightening would cloak the island while the family would try to batten down the hatches and wait it out in the dark.



That's pretty much how it is here.  Only the thunder sounds like it is exploding in your house, it is that loud!  And we can't always batten down the house...especially when I'm working.  Through rain, lightening and thunder, I trudge my way to the kids' houses to distribute their medication.  

Last night I walked over, admiring the moon above and the distant lightening that occasionally flashed above the mountains in the distance...only to find myself back at the clinic thirty minutes later as the rain began pounding and the building began vibrating from the force of the thunder.  This went on for hours, rain driving into the tin roof and effectively drowning out every other noise: including the padre's late night house repairs hammering on the other side of the wall.



I only have two more 24-hour shifts.  I know I have said this before, but this time it might be true.  Our kids have one more week of vacation and I have three weeks until I go home for a visit to my family!  I honestly cannot wait, but I'm already scared to think of how hard it will be to leave again!



Looks like everything is a go for the zoo on Thursday.  I'll take lots of pictures!  I also have a fumigator coming tomorrow and have to move out for 24hours.  Not sure yet where I'll go...lots of empty beds here this week!

Sayanora!

No comments:

Post a Comment