Friday, August 26, 2016

The simple things just are


I love that song by Jim Brickman and sung by some lady (I just googled, is it Rebecca somebody?) that says the simple things just are.  I know it's kind of a love song but when you stop and focus on that one phrase, well that's kind of where I'm at right now in this mission.  Just trying to overlook the tough parts (slept three hours total during my twenty four hour shift the night before last) and dwell on the awesome. When it is all said and done, in another few months, the simple things are what I want to remember.


Focusing on the simple things is kind of another way of being grateful.  When I stop to look at what's important, well, I'm really stopping to recognize and be grateful for what I have in my life.  Like smiles, and giggles, and goodnight hugs and kisses from my kids.  Or friends stopping along the road and offering me a ride in their truck.  Or just someone wanting to meet me for coffee.



***
Last Sunday I was sitting with my kids in the sala (living space with a bunch of couches and a television), just painting our nails and playing with play-dough   We made butterflies and cats and snowmen.  One girl sat on another girl's heart and smushed it.  We all just laughed.  Then one of the girls fell and I picked her up and brought her to sit next to me.  She curled into my side while another little boy rested his head in my lap and sucked on his finger.  The simple things just are.

My mom is coming tonight to spend the week.  I am ecstatic!  We're going to take some of my kids into town on Sunday and buy flowers to put at the feet of the statue of the Blessed Mother in our church.  I've been wanting to do this for a while but haven't found enough time to make the trek.  Then we'll sightsee a bit in Antigua and take in the coast for a day or two.  Can't wait!




Hey, time won’t wait, life goes by

every day’s a brand new sky

every tear comes to dry

all that really matters in this crazy world
is you and I together baby, just remember

the first leaves off the tree, the way you look at me

a thousand chiming church bells ring, the simple things are free

the sun, the moon, the stars, the beating of two hearts

how i love the simple things, the simple things just are

No comments:

Post a Comment