Friday, December 9, 2016

Some things I'm not gonna miss

and some things I will...




Early this morning or rather late last night (or well somewhere in between) I woke up to the chickens, dogs and fireworks that are a nightly medley here in Guatemala.  Then I woke up again around six am to a jackhammer going off outside my window.  At least, it sounded like it was going off outside my window.

Not going to miss the danger factor.  The cities, streets, and bus routes that are prohibited for various reasons: mostly because someone, somewhere already did damage and you don't want to be the next victim.

Not going to miss the abrupt and random daily schedule changes.  I guess it is good for me to learn not to be a control freak because everything will, without a doubt, not be what you planned...but every once in a while it's kinda nice to have an idea of what's going to happen.

That said...there is a boatload more of things I will miss! Definitely the friendliness and warmth of the people. Going to miss the Jurassic Park sunsets complete with volcanoes, the eternally blooming roses, the constant influx of new activities and flurry of visitors.  I'm going to miss my housemates and the new and exciting ideas they are constantly coming up with.  I'm going to miss how close and easy it is to travel around to other countries in Central America.  And of course: I'm going to miss the KIDS.  Their faces, their smiles, their hugs, their excitement, their potential.  Just them.

I received a "prepare to be re-acculturated" email last night from NPH.  In it was a list of questions to start preparing to return home. Questions like: What are you most grateful for?  What do you wish you did differently?  What will you miss most?

The process of returning is something that I was thinking about even at the beginning of this year but now that it is upon me: it's front and center.  I already have so many plans for February, March and April.  It appears I'll just slip right back into my old life.  Yet I'm sure it won't be that easy.  This year has changed me.  



Guess I'll just have to ride it out and see where God takes me.  One step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment