Sunday, May 28, 2017

Crushing the head: Fatima


"The decisive battle between the Lord and the kingdom of Satan will be over marriage and the family."
Sr. Lucia dos Santos




Hashtag 100 years!  Who doesn't love the story of Fatima?  An Angel, Our Lady, three holy and beautiful children...and a message for the world.


"Are you willing to offer yourselves to God and bear all the sufferings He wills to send you, as an act of reparation for the conversion of sinners?"




"Then you are going to have much to suffer, but the grace of God will be your comfort."



"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace."


This is the second time I have been privileged to visit Fatima.  The first time was with all of my sisters when we were teenagers.  That was over fifteen years ago!  I spent the first day in Fatima walking around seeing how things have changed, remembering our visit and thinking how much we have grown since then.


I lit candles for my loved ones and their intentions.  I knelt on the walk.  I wandered through churches both above and below ground.  Then I found a nook where I could just sit, watch and think.


And I spent a lot of time in prayer.  100 years since Our Lady appeared in the little Cova and now it is a beautiful site with churches and chapels and thousands of people.


But Our Lady didn't come so a beautiful cathedral or basilica would be built.  She came to bring peace and to give us hope.  Her message to the world 100 years ago is just as timely today.


Sister Lucia, the visionary who died several years ago but lived through almost the last one hundred years, would tell you the same.


“Let us all willingly endeavor to follow faithfully the path that He has mapped out for us. Yes, because it was out of love that God sent us this pressing call from his mercy, in order to help us along the way of our salvation.”


*Quotes above taken from the words of Our Lady to the three children of Fatima except for the last one which is from Sr. Lucia's book.


No comments:

Post a Comment