Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Fourth of July


Having flashbacks to when I was a little girl and we'd make the all-day drive up to my grandparent's house in West Virginia for the Fourth of July holiday.  We had the perfect spot for the town fireworks right on my grandma's front lawn, blankets and chairs set out in the grass as the lights filled the sky above us.  The West Virginia heat, oh my!



Thinking back to all the times I listened to Lee Greenwood sing Proud to be an American...errr...God Bless the USA (official title I think) and cried, thinking how glad I was to be born in this country.  Standing in kindergarten and learning the pledge of allegiance.  Hearing the national anthem played at ball games and, even more meaningful, at the olympics when every other country present listened along.  Watching the President speak after 9-11.  And waiting with baited breath each election to see who would come out on top.  Complaining about long waits in the DMV and grateful for a cop or ambulance responding within minutes of calling.  People dying to get into our country. Decisions and options and the ability to do more with my own life and do more for those around me than I could want.  Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to carry arms, freedom to own property, freedom to challenge the government and the freedom to assemble.  Land of the free.




I've been to a lot of places over the years and although I have plenty of love and respect for these other countries, I am so grateful to call the United States of America home!


“Yesterday the greatest question was decided which ever was debated in America; and a greater perhaps never was, nor will be, decided among men. A resolution was passed without one dissenting colony, ”that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States.”
You will see in a few days a Declaration setting forth the causes which have impelled us to this mighty revolution, and the reasons which will justify it in the sight of God and man. A plan of confederation will be taken up in a few days."
~John Adams
July 3, 1776


No comments:

Post a Comment