Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Intermission



I've been busy.  I went down to South Carolina two weeks ago and attended my godfather's wedding.  I was able to see my 93 year old grandma (mom's side) and that is a blessing because this week she was put on hospice.  :o(


Then I spent last week working at an AMAZING Catholic kids camp...one that I've volunteered for before and loved!  This time it was in Maryland (they run four or five including one in Ireland!) and so I was able to spend time with my grandma (dad's mom) and aunt who live down that way.  


What a blessing!  Both the visit and the camp.  I had the pleasure of visiting Hagerstown which is a super-cute little place on the cusp of West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.  We saw their museum of fine arts, the $100,000 mural along the cultural trail (pictured above) and the downtown visitor's center.  Super cute!



Also in breaking news, I was able to teach my grandma how to text on her new cell phone. She is 85! The first day she received my text, she called my aunt to tell her she had received it.  She then tried to text my aunt, but sent it to her landline.  The next day she called ME to tell me she received my text.  It was only by day three that TADA: I received a text!  So now she is tech-savvy (text-savvy?) and I don't know what will happen next.  Will she be on Facebook?  Who knows?


The camp itself was an amazing and beautiful week of grace.  We had daily Mass, adoration, rosary, talks by religious accompanied by paddle-boating, swimming, soccer, dodgeball, rope courses and all kinds of camp-like things for 250 teenagers.  The campground itself was built in the 1950s and hasn't changed a thing.  I felt like I stepped onto the set of Hailey Mill's movie The Parent Trap.  It was awesome!


I worked in the nurses office where we mostly fielded off bloody noses, bumps and bruises although we did have some broken bones and concussions mixed in.  The entire week was so uplifting.  And exhausting.  Which is why next year, I will not do camp followed by four days of working followed by a trip to Guatemala.


Because tomorrow, I am going back to Guatemala with a church youth group from Boston.  I'm super exhausted but excited.  God is good and I really can't wait to see my kids.  I have been so blessed.  Now to remember that!


No comments:

Post a Comment